Agenda and draft minutes

Finance, Commercial Revenue and Contracts Policy & Accountability Committee
Monday, 23rd September, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Meeting Room 1 (2nd Floor) - 3 Shortlands, Hammersmith, W6 8DA. View directions

Contact: Kayode Adewumi 

Items
No. Item

13.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 360 KB

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting, held on 2 July 2019, as an accurate record.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 2 July 2019 were approved and signed by the Chair.

Monitoring of productivity

 

Culture piece - HR to provide a report on productivity. Monitoring productivity changes as a result of our new ways of working.

 

Action by Dawn Aunger

 

 

14.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Fiona Smith,  Judith Worthy and Eric Hohenstein.

 

15.

Declarations of interest

If a Councillor has a disclosable pecuniary interest in a particular item, whether or not it is entered in the Authority’s register of interests, or any other significant interest which they consider should be declared in the public interest, they should declare the existence and, unless it is a sensitive interest as defined in the Member Code of Conduct, the nature of the interest at the commencement of the consideration of that item or as soon as it becomes apparent.

 

At meetings where members of the public are allowed to be in attendance and speak, any Councillor with a disclosable pecuniary interest or other significant interest may also make representations, give evidence or answer questions about the matter.  The Councillor must then withdraw immediately from the meeting before the matter is discussed and any vote taken.

 

Where Members of the public are not allowed to be in attendance and speak, then the Councillor with a disclosable pecuniary interest should withdraw from the meeting whilst the matter is under consideration. Councillors who have declared other significant interests should also withdraw from the meeting if they consider their continued participation in the matter would not be reasonable in the circumstances and may give rise to a perception of a conflict of interest.

 

Councillors are not obliged to withdraw from the meeting where a dispensation to that effect has been obtained from the Audit, Pensions and Standards Committee. 

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

16.

Brexit Impact Report pdf icon PDF 222 KB

This briefing provides an update on the potential impact of Brexit on H&F and the mitigating actions being planned or developed.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

 

 

The Chair welcomed the Members and officers to the Committee and asked the officers to focus the introduction on the potential financial impact of a no deal on the borough. Officers noted that the Council and all other public bodies are planning for a no deal exit but the volume was unknown. 

 

Settled Status

 

H&F is providing a free documentation scanning service for EU residents and promoting the EU settlement status service through our website, household leaflet drops and adverts on 200 lampposts in the Borough. We are promoting positive messages encouraging EU nationals to stay, live and work in the Borough. We will know in November the impact of our messages when the next set of data is released by the Government. To date, 8,300 people out of 30,000 have applied for settled status.  Members expressed concern that over 22,000 people have not applied for settled status and asked for officers to request for up to date data before November. Officers noted that residents have up to 2020 to apply and there is an expectation that the figures would double due to our local and national campaigns. 

 

Action

 

·       Seek up to date details of numbers of H&F residents applying for settled status before release of govt figures in November (Peter Smith)

·       Counter the negative Brexit messages from the Polish Ambassador – Add to our current messages that “We offer great opportunities for you to develop yourself and career”. (Peter Smith)

·       Look into how we might be even more encouraging about persuading EU citizens to stay in the borough by promoting the learning and development opportunities we can offer them (Peter Smith)

 

Workforce

 

The Committee noted that officers were currently modelling around a 4% increase on the social care budget that may result from labour shortages and other inflationary pressures arising from Brexit. We have a business continuity plan which will deal with staff shortages.

 

Action

 

·       Obtain Business Continuity Plans from our social care providers and pass on to PAC (Ian Cairns/Jon Lillestone)

 

Supply chain

 

The Committee noted that Business Continuity and Corporate Procurement are identifying clusters of corporate contracts (e.g. food, IT, construction, care and medical equipment) that may be more sensitive to no-deal Brexit changes.

A cross-departmental Service Resilience Group (SRG), consisting of the core Directors from the Strategic Leadership Team, is forming strategies around contingencies for partial or whole loss of critical suppliers. The SRG chaired by the Chief Executive meets quarterly. In addition to the SRG, a ‘Tiger Team’ has been formed with specific Assistant Directors given lead responsibility for making urgent decisions in key areas of the Council’s operations.

 

EU Funding

 

Officers reported that our Adult Learning and Skills Service was funded by an Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) grant up until August 2019, when the budget was devolved to the London Mayor.  This funding amounts to £2.7m per year.  We will continue to receive the current level of funding up to 2021, after which there is no guarantee that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

Civic Campus Programme - September Update pdf icon PDF 470 KB

This report provides the Committee with an update on the Civic Campus Programme – the redevelopment of Hammersmith Town Hall and West King Street.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee was informed that the programme is developing as planned and on track.  A small underspend of £44,031 against the budget is currently forecast. However, this may improve as the decant programme and reconciliation of budgets is completed. The overall programme is made up of 3 distinct phases as follows:

 

Phase 1 (Office Decant) – The decant of 1,400 staff from the Town Hall and Town Hall Extension into new office locations at Shortlands, Clockwork, 145 King Street and 43 Beavor Lane was completed on 31 August as planned. There is a small group of staff waiting to relocate to 43 Beavor Lane upon installation of a BT fibre line which is due by the beginning of October.

 

Phase 2 (Demolition and Enabling works) - This involves initial surveys, soft strip and final demolition of the site (Town Hall Extension only) in preparation for main works contract to process. The demolition contractor started onsite on 1st September. Hoardings have been erected and there is now no public access to the Town Hall and Town Hall Extension.

 

Phase 3 – (Main works) – This sets out the design development, procurement of a main contractor and start on site.

 

The Committee congratulated officers on the successful and smooth decant of the Town hall and town hall extension.  Officers were asked to set out the whole project’s cost. In response, officers explained that the JV construction works will cost £130 million, another £38.8 million for the Town hall refurbishment works and £6.8 million for the Town Hall fit out. The development funds and capital costs will come from borrowing.  Up to £90 million can be borrowed from the Public Works Board and lent to the JV at market rate, if required, to ensure we do not fall foul of the state aid rules. The Council will add £25 million in form of the land value which A2Dominion will match fund with another £25 million.  It was noted that A2 Dominion are paying for the current works.

 

Members expressed concern that the Council was proceeding at risk with such a substantial capital programme with no contracts signed.  Nothing is preventing A2Dominion from walking away if they consider the development unviable.  The report was unclear on what the risks to the Council were nor where we are getting the money from.

 

Officers reassured the Committee that the JV agreement will be signed in December.  A head of terms had been signed with a risk share agreement in place. The JV would be responsible for managing and delivering both contracts.

 

The Committee concluded that a lot of good work is ongoing with good intent, but the details have not been nailed down.  The commencement of the TOWN Hall extension demolition works without a signed contract was an issue of grave concern.  Officers must ensure that these concerns are addressed.

 

Action Points

 

Members requested an update on the legal agreement covering: -

 

·       What is our risk?

·       What will prevent A2Dominon from walking away?  ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Committee Work Programme pdf icon PDF 201 KB

The Committee is asked to consider the items in the work programme and suggest any amendments or additional topics to be included in the future.

Minutes:

The Committee noted its work programme and agreed that following reports be presented at its November meeting:-

·         Brexit – Peter Smith

·         Civic Campus – David Burns/Andy Starkie

·         Mitie Repairs – The report must contain KPIs – David McNulty

·         Financial assessment of the Council’s Carbon Zero policy (To check if this item would go to PSR, Environment or Finance PAC)

 

 

19.

Dates of future meetings

The following dates are proposed:

·       Wednesday 20 November 2019

·       Wednesday 29 January 2020

·       Wednesday 1 April 2020

 

Minutes:

The following meeting dates for the municipal year were noted:-

· Wednesday 20 November 2019

· Wednesday 29 January 2020

· Wednesday 1 April 2020