Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The report sets out the rationale for a
self-funding programme to renew the borough's primary school estate
and procure design advice on Flora Gardens and Avonmore Primary
1. That Cabinet approves the strategic case for a school renewal programme which has three core aims:
· to re-provide modern, fit for purpose schools to support the borough’s ambition to give children the best start in life;
· to support the funding of education in Hammersmith and Fulham including the future repair and planned maintenance requirements across the school community; and
· to fund school development through the creation of badly needed affordable housing which will help maintain the borough’s vibrant social mix.
2. That Cabinet approves Flora Gardens Primary School and Avonmore Primary Schools being the first projects within this programme and that further work be undertaken to produce a business case and proceed to planning application stage as appropriate.
3. That Cabinet approve the procurement strategy to appoint a design team, client design advisor, and cost consultant for the re-provision of Flora Gardens Primary School and Avonmore Primary School as set out in the exempt Appendix A, and delegate the decision as to which of the two recommended frameworks to use to the Strategic Director for Growth and Place.
4. That Cabinet approves associated budget of up to £2,534,757 required for the initial business case, design and survey costs.
5. That Cabinet approves the design and survey costs of up to £2,534,757 will be funded from grants, developer contributions and reserves and delegates identification and approval of funding to the Strategic Director of Finance and Governance in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Finance and Commercial Services.
6. That Cabinet approves the initial allocation of £506,000 of the total £2,534,757, from unallocated capital grant balances to fund design and survey costs to RIBA stage 1 (outline scheme plan).
7. That Cabinet delegates the decision to commit expenditure to progress from RIBA stage 1 (outline scheme plan) to RIBA stage 3 (developed design) to the Strategic Director for Growth and Place, in consultation with the Strategic Director for Finance and Governance and the Strategic Director for Children’s Services.
8. To delegate the award of the contract for design services to the Strategic Director for Growth and Place in consultation with the Cabinet Member for the Economy and the Arts.
9. That Cabinet notes the recommended approach to stakeholder and resident engagement in the design process.
Report author: Nick Kimber
Publication date: 06/03/2019
Date of decision: 04/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 04/03/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 11/03/2019